Chocolate squares with toffee caramel
A classical baked dessert with the perfect shortbread crust, silky caramel centre with a double chocolate topping. These treats are pure decadence.
- Recipe serves:10-12
- Preparation Time20 Minutes
- Cooking Time25 Minutes
- 100g Astra
- 25g sugar
- 125g flour
- 40g cashew nuts, powdered
- Caramel filling;
- 25g Astra
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 200g condensed milk
- Chocolate topping;
- 4 tablespoons Astra
- 100g dark chocolate
- 50g white chocolate
- Beat the Astra and sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in the flour and cashew nut powder and then mix well with hands.
- Press the above mixture into the base of a square baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 1800 C for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all the ingredients of the caramel filling into a saucepan. Stir gently till the mixture starts boiling. Keep stirring for a few more minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and pour over the baked base and leave to set.
- Add the two chocolates separately into a bowl and melt over a double boiler. Take off from heat and add 2 tablespoons of Astra each and mix well.
- Spread the dark chocolate over the caramel and smooth with a knife.
- Use the white chocolate on top to form any design. Once the chocolate has set, cut into squares and serve.
Chef’s Tip:Do not over bake the pastry base as it will harden and will be difficult to cut through.