Traditional soft and creamy milk rice made with coconut milk, experienced best with red-hot lunu miris.
- Recipe serves:4 to 5
- Preparation Time10 Minutes
- Cooking Time20 Minutes
- 500g raw rice
- 3-4 cardamoms, crushed
- 400ml thick coconut milk
- 600ml coconut milk, 2nd and 3rd extract
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain rice. In a saucepan, add 2nd and 3rd extract of coconut milk with salt, crushed cardamoms and rice. Allow to cook.
- When coconut milk level is the same as that of the rice, add the 1st extract of coconut milk. Stir well and cook until all the grains are well boiled and the mixture is a thick mass.
- At this point there should be no milk left. Spread kiribath on a dish, smoothen the top with a piece of grease-proof paper or plantain leaf. Cut into diamond-shaped pieces.
Mung KiribathMix 200g of green gram with rice and cook through. A quick recipe for a Sri Lankan classic! This easy recipe is a well-loved local favourite for breakfast.
Chef’s Tip:Cut the kiribath when it’s still hot. To ensure neat edges, wipe the knife before cutting into the next piece.