Cheesy beef and eggplant moussaka
A hearty Greek dish featuring grilled eggplant with a chunky minced beef sauce, smothered with a layer of baked cheese.
- Recipe serves:7-8
- Preparation Time15 Minutes
- Cooking Time30 Minutes
- 7-8 eggplants
- 700g minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 20g Astra
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 300g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 packet Knorr Chinese Chilli Recipe Mix
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 500ml milk
- 150g grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut eggplant into thick slices or lengthwise and season with a pinch of salt. Grill or bake in an oven till halfway cooked. Let it cool.
- Melt Astra in a pan and sauté onion and garlic. When fragrant, add minced beef and sauté for a further few minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and chopped tomato. Cook till beef is done and sauce thickens. Mix in the herbs and Knorr Chinese Chilli Recipe Mix. Season to taste.
- Mix bread crumbs into the mixture and set aside.
- Heat oil in a separate pan. Add flour and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add milk gradually and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the cheese. Stir and take off from heat.
- In an ovenproof dish, spread a small amount of the beef mixture and arrange on top a layer of roasted eggplants. Fill up the dish arranging layers of beef mixture and eggplants.
- Finally, pour cheese sauce over it and bake in an oven at 200°C till the top turns golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Halve your prep time with quick recipes like these that take only 15 mins prep time! That’s right, easy recipes just got a little easier.
Chef’s Tip:Use mutton as a substitute for beef. This dish can be made in advance.