Batter fried crispy kohila with a dreamy sweet and spicy crunch. It’s a whole new twist on an old favourite!
- Recipe serves:5 to 6
- Preparation Time10 Minutes
- Cooking Time15 Minutes
- 200g kohila
- 2 sachets Knorr Maldive Fish Powder Mix
- 100g wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chilli pieces
- ½ cup beetroot extract
- 1 chopped onion
- A handful of chopped curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Water to mix
- Oil to deep fry
- Cut kohila into thin slices.
- Grind beetroot and strain the extract.
- Mix flour, Knorr Maldive Fish Powder Mix, turmeric, chilli pieces, onion and curry leaves together. Add water gradually and mix till a semi-thick batter forms. Correct seasoning.
- Pour beetroot extract over sliced kohila and let it absorb the liquid until it turns red in colour.
- Heat the oil and dip the marinated kohila into the batter.
- Fry till golden brown.
- This quick and easy recipe takes just 25 minutes to prepare and serve!
Chef’s Tip:You may substitute chick pea flour with wheat flour for a different flavour. But note that it is crunchier with the wheat flour.