An all-time Sri Lankan favourite! You can now make spicy chicken kottu from scratch, in the comfort of your own home!
- Recipe serves:4 to 5
- Preparation Time30 Minutes
- Cooking Time20 Minutes
- For Roti
- 250g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil to mix
- 1 cup oil for dipping
- For Kottu Mixture
- 200g roasted or cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 sachet Knorr Chicken Powder Mix
- 3 tablespoons Knorr Chinese Chilli Recipe Mix
- 100g carrots, shredded
- 100g leeks, shredded
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2-3 green chillies, sliced
- 1 cup spring onion leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped
- A handful of curry leaves
- 2 peeled tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2-3 tablespoons Astra
- Salt and crushed pepper to taste
- For the roti, mix in the flour and salt with 1 tablespoon of oil in a bowl.
- Add water gradually and knead well till it becomes firm dough that isn’t sticky.
- Divide the dough into small, equal-sized balls. In a fresh bowl arrange the balls and pour the remaining oil over it. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pan (according to the size you want to make the roti) or a griddle plate.
- Using your palm, flatten the dough into thin rotis and fry both sides. When done chop rotis using a knife.
- For the kottu mixture, heat Astra in a pan. Add garlic, ginger, onion, curry leaves and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add chicken, green chilli, carrot, leek and sauté till vegetables are slightly cooked.
- Add Knorr Chicken Powder Mix, Knorr Chinese Chilli Recipe Mix, pepper and tomatoes. Correct the seasoning.
- Finally add the chopped rotis and mix it up. Garnish with shredded spring onion leaves on top and serve hot.
- Bookmark these quick recipes for mouth-watering Sri Lankan party foods!
Chef’s Tip:You could always use store-bought plain Roti to make the cooking process faster.