here are some few tips which will reduce time spent in the kitchen and give you more time with your family.
Whether you are a working mom or a stay-at-home mom your daily routines make a busy lifestyle. So here are some few tips which will reduce time spent in the kitchen and give you more time with your family.
Get Organized First…
- Arrange the working area and the cooking area separately but closer so as to maintain tidiness and also for convenience.
- Place cooking utensils like pots and pans, spoons, forks and essential ingredients such as spices and oil always closer to the cooking station. You’d be amazed at how much time you spend just running around the kitchen.
- Plan your meal and clean all the ingredients being used before you start cooking. Chefs call this process ‘mise-en-place’. Running around while cooking is not only dangerous but also time consuming.
- If you are referring to recipes often, have a conversion chart on the wall for easy reference.
- Invest in a few time saving appliances like a Pressure Cooker, Microwave, Blender/Grinder & Food Processor to make cooking faster.
- Use ingredients that help you in the cooking process like cleaned meat and seafood, readymade pastes and easy to cook products like Knorr Italian & Chinese ranges.
- Store food in ziplocks or clear bags for super easy reference when selecting ingredients. Dry ingredients such as rice, pasta, dhal and sugar are better stored in glass canisters or containers. These will store ingredients safely as well as indicate the remaining quantity.
- If you’re a busy mum with little time to cook on weekdays get a bulk done and out of the way during the weekend. For example, prepare all the ingredients and marinate and freeze them so all you have to do on busy weekdays is thaw and cook.
- Ingredients like onion, garlic, ginger and fresh chilli are regularly used in Sri Lankan cooking and preparing them is quite time consuming. So clean, cut and add a dash of vinegar and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Use CorningWear, Pyrex or VisionWear to serve a dish straight from your stove/oven to your table. This saves washing time and energy.