Finding ways to keep kids entertained during the holidayswhilst having to satisfy their constant hunger pangs in between the main meal times can be quite a task. Here are some quick and easy snack ideas that will keep the little tummies satisfied!
- 5 minute ‘mug’ cake – add flour, sugar, cocoa in a coffee mug and mix well. Then add 1 egg, milk, oil, and vanilla essence and blend in. Microwave and cook for 3 minutes and voila!! Serve with a scoop of ice cream.
- Dehydrated fruits – apples, strawberries, bananas, peaches and tomatoes can be dehydrated in the microwave (juicy fruits such as apples, mangoes, pears and grapes are best) or electric oven and stored in airtight containers.
Steps in oven are:
- Wash fruit, remove pits/cores and cut into uniform thin slices.
- Arrange slices on non-stick baking sheets. (lay them apart)
- Preheat the oven to 170°F.
- Keep the oven door open slightly during drying and stir fruit every 30 minutes. Properly dried fruit should be chewy, not squishy or crispy.
- Evenly space fruit directly on turntable.
- Set to defrost and microwave the fruit, flipping occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Check the fruit. If still too moist, microwave it at 5-minute intervals for up to another 15 minutes.
- Cool before storing.
- Del/ Bread Fruit chips – these chips can be sugar coated or dusted with salt and stored in a jar.
- Colourful Fruit Smoothie - Put yoghurt/ice cream, fresh fruits and ice in a blender. It’s a great way to get your kids to eat a variety of fruit.
‘Activity’ snacks – some fun recipes that you can get your kid involved in.
- Eatable jewellery! – use multi- colored cookie dough to make teeny balls with a hole right through. Once baked, they can be stringed through a ribbon, worn and eaten!
- Cookies – all you need is a yummy dough and fun cookie cutter shapes! (Add ‘100’s x1000’s’, choc chips, nuts, smarties ect.)
- Make your own chocolate – melt cooking chocolate and add nuts, marshmallows or even popcorn and pour mixture into ice cube trays or molded shape trays and place in refrigerator to chill.