An aromatic rice together with succulent chicken that was slowly simmered in a spicy broth of tomatoes and spices. This exotic dish is full of flavour and a definite crowd pleaser.
- Recipe serves:5-6
- Preparation Time15 Minutes
- Cooking Time30 Minutes
- 4 cups Basmati rice
- 300g onions, thinly sliced
- 1 kg chicken cut in to large pieces
- 3 Knorr Seasoning Cubes
- 1 dry lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- 6 tomato diced
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons Astra
- 6 cups water
- Oil to deep fry
- Deep fry half the amount of onions till golden brown and set aside. Soak basmati rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Add Knorr seasoning cubes, pepper powder, cumin powder, cardamom powder and cloves to the chicken pieces. Rub well and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- Melt Astra in a pan. Add in the remaining onions and sauté for few minutes.
- Add chicken and all of its marinade sauté.
- Then add tomato, tomato juice, bay leaf, cinnamon, dry lemon and mix well. Season to taste.
- Pour the water and bring to boil. Drain basmati rice and add to the chicken mixture.
- Bring to boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer till rice is done.
- Garnish with fried onion. Serve hot
Chef’s Tip:If you do not have dry lemon, grate the skin of oranges, fry till a tangy flavor is developed. Use 1 -2 tablespoons of this to flavor the rice.