Ash Gourd (Puhul) Kalu Pol Curry
A delicious thick ash gourd coconut curry infused with a range of spices that will tantalize those taste buds. Ingredients have been boiled, tempered and roasted to bring about this exquisite dish.
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation Time30 Minutes
- Cooking Time30 Minutes
- Ash Gourd 500g
- Finely sliced Red Onions 2-3
- Chopped Garlic 2-3 Cloves
- Finely Chopped Green Chillies 2
- Pandan (Rampe) & Curry Leaves
- Cinnamon Stick 1
- Cardamom 3
- Cloves 3-4
- Knorr Maldive Fish Powder 1 Sachet
- Fenugreek 1 Teaspoon
- Roasted Curry Powder 2 Tablespoons
- Roasted Chilli Powder 1 Tablespoon
- Thick Coconut Milk 2 Cups
- Oil 1 Tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder ½ Teaspoon
- Salt to Taste
- Scraped Coconut 1 Tablespoon
- Rice 1 Tablespoon
- Clean the Ash Gourd and cut into large pieces
- Place a saucepan with oil on the fire and as it heats, add the Garlic, Onions, Green Chillies, Pandan and Curry Leaves and temper. When fragrant, add the Cinnamon stick, Cardamom and Cloves and temper.
- Now add all other ingredients, except for the Ash Gourd and Coconut Milk, and mix well. Cover the saucepan with a lid. After allowing ash gourd to get cooked for a while add coconut milk and allow it to get boiled further.
- Sprinkle Salt and Curry Powder to taste.
- For the Kalupol Mixture
- Fry the Scraped Coconut and Rice till fragrant. Then grind well. This mixture can now be used for any Kalupol Curry. (For added taste and fragrance, you can add Curry Leaves and Garlic Cloves)
Chef’s Tip:Cut the Ash Gourd pieces into large pieces as the pieces will get smashed if you cut into small pieces.