Eggplant, spinach and cheese pie
A scrumptious layered pie, full of double cheesy spinach, rice and eggplant, baked in a golden crust.
- Recipe serves:6
- Preparation Time30 Minutes
- Cooking Time30 Minutes
- Short crust pastry
- 1 large eggplant cut into slices
- 1 sachet Knorr Chicken Powder Mix
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 175g spinach
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 75g feta cheese
- 60g plain yogurt
- 90g fresh cream
- 225g cooked basmati
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out the short crust pastry and bake in a preheated oven at 1800C for 10-12 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, and cook the eggplant slices till golden. Drain and set aside.
- To the remaining oil, add the onion and garlic and sauté till fragrant.
- Add chopped spinach to this mixture and cook for a minute. Take off from heat and mix in the Knorr Chicken Powder Mix, parmesan and feta cheese. Season to taste and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add the spinach mixture and eggs and mix well. Pour this onto the baked pastry shell and arrange the fried eggplant slices on top.
- Add a layer of rice, another layer of spinach and eggs and arrange the eggplant slices on top.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 1800C for 30 minutes and serve hot.
Chef’s Tip:Replace the layer of rice with any other meat for a meatier pie.