The authentic Sri Lankan dish. Delicious polos curry with pieces of tender jack blended with a combination of aromatic spices. A mouth-watering accompaniment for rice.
- Recipe serves:4 to 5
- Preparation Time15 Minutes
- Cooking Time40 Minutes
- 500g tender jack, cut into medium size pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 green chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 or 5 cardamom pods
- 4 or 5 cloves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sachet Knorr Maldive Fish Powder Mix
- 1 tbsp Astra Margarine
- 3 tbsp tamarind extract
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp roasted curry powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 300ml coconut milk (second extract)
- 900ml thick and thin coconut milk, mixed together
- Rampe and curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Melt Astra in a pot on a low flame. Add mustard seeds and cover with a lid. After the mustard seeds pop, add onion, garlic, rampe, curry leaves, and green chilies. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add polos, Knorr Maldive Fish Powder Mix and all the spices into the pot. Sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the second extract of coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer.
- When polos pieces are almost fully cooked, add the rest of the coconut milk and cook until the gravy thickens.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
- The taste of home. A firm Sri Lankan favorite, bursting with flavor.
Chef’s Tip:Add some scraped and thinly sliced coconut to the curry for enhanced flavor and texture.