Sweet and Spicy Date Rice
A tantalizing contrast of taste in one mouthful of fluffy basmati rice, flavoured with the richness of date fruit.
- Recipe serves:3 to 4
- Preparation Time30 Minutes
- Cooking Time10 Minutes
- 600g Cooked basmati rice
- 1 pkt of Knorr Chinese chili mix
- 350g of Pitted dates
- 1 no of chopped Onion
- 2-3 cloves chopped Garlic
- 1 inch piece of chopped Ginger
- 2 nos of chopped Large tomatoes
- 30g of Astra
- 200ml of Water
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Spring onion leaves cut in to 1 inch pieces
- Add 200g dates and vinegar into a grinder. Grind to a smooth paste and set aside. Cut the remaining dates in to thin slices.
- Melt the Astra in a separate pan. Add chopped ginger and garlic and sauté till fragrant. Then add the onions and tomato. Sauté for 2 minutes
- Add the grounded date paste in to this and mix well. Add Knorr Chinese chili mix and water and cook until the sauce is bubbly.
- Add the rice into the prepared mixture and fluff it up with a fork. Mix in the spring onion leaves and sliced dates. Season to taste and serve hot as a pleasure to the senses and a treat to the table.
Chef’s Tip:Add a few cloves, cardamoms, a tbsp of Astra and a piece of rampe when cooking the rice, to enhance flavour.