During Ramadan, believers abstain from food and drink until sunset. The body loses liquid and keeping hydrated and boosting energy when breaking fast (Iftar) is paramount. Here are some refreshing and wholesome drinks with tantalizing flavour combinations that the whole family can enjoy.
- King coconut and lime - Mix in a lime with 200ml king coconut with sugar to taste.
- Peanut butter and banana smoothie- Blend ½ banana with 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and sugar to taste.
- Watermelon and citrus - Blend together, water melon, mint leaves and grape fruit until smooth. Then, add honey, lemon juice and a1 few ice cubes and blend it for another 10 seconds.
- Date shake – All you need are pitted dates, milk, vanilla ice cream and some chocolate syrup (optional). Pour the milk into a blender, add dates, and process to a smooth puree. Then add ice cream and chocolate syrup. (To make a smooth drink, soften the dates by microwaving it for a few seconds)
- Almond milk – Just blend almonds with milk and sugar. You can substitute almonds with cashew nuts with a dash of almond essence and the end product tastes as good.
- Dates and yogurt –blend dates and yogurt together with sugar to taste. For a thinner consistency, add water.
- Apple and Tomato Juice – Combine 1 apple, 1 tomato, 1 spoon honey, 2 drops lemon juice with some water and blend together.
- Mango lassi – Blend together mango chunks, milk, vanilla ice cream, yogurt, water, sugar and some crushed ice.
Tip: All the drinks are best served chilled.